Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Maurice Bolyer Golden Banjo Classics Part 6/7

17. Irish Medley (Blue Bonnet Jig - Father O'Flynn - Irish Washer Woman) 18. Good Night Waltz Medley (Till We Meet Again - If You Were The Only Girl In The World - Let The Rest Of The World Go By) 19. Grandfather's Clock 20. The Wreck Of The "John B." A 2-LP set by Maurice Bolyer (originally Beaulieu) (1920-1978) apparently issued in 1978 because of the font on the labels and the consistency of the vinyl. Maurice went to school with my grandpa on my mom's side (1908-1983), and this is the very copy he got following Maurice's death. This album has meant a lot to me, as I kept listening to it for years through my childhood and early teenage. My grandma also kept playing it all the time after her husband's death, all the way until 1996 when she got transferred to health care and I inherited of it (she died in 2000). To get the best sound out of these records that got well worn on my grandma's 1966 Garrard 3000 changer (which I also still have), I'm here playing them on my 1987 Technics SL-L24 linear-tracker with Shure cartridge. Sides are placed A opposite B and C opposite D as with sets from the 80's and today. Each side has its theme: Side A "In Concert"; Side B "For Party Dancing"; Side C "Jigs, Reels and Waltzes"; and Side D "By Request". The gatefold cover is heavily worn and torn along the top and bottom, but still bears the following liner notes: ************************* THE KING OF THE BANJO The reputation "King Of The Banjo" in today's music industry is an honour ...

No comments:

Post a Comment