Tuesday, July 6, 2010

VibeSquaD at King King in Hollywood

www.vibesquad.com ABOUT i got my 1st 45 single in 1980 & it was the Sugar Hill Gangs Rappers delight. i used to go crazy dancing around the living room to the b-side Apache (Jump ON it, Jump On it) I also liked big rock music like Rush & the Who (i was 9). I was deep into breakdancing in Junior high. The movies beat street & breakin were huge in my world. I couldnt convince my parents to buy me technics 1200s and a mixer for my 12th birthday, but i did hook up my sisters and my whole stereosystems next to each other so that i could scratch (read: ruin) a mint worth of classic vinyl. i got like $300 worth of gift cirtificates to a dance music record store for my bar mitzvah (no joke) so i bought a couple crates of some serious classics (i was living in Evanston, Il right outside of Chicago and house/electro/techno and underground hiphop were burgeoning styles). i had original pressings of Al-Naafish (the original electro tune in my book) Art of Noises Into Battle (beatbox, moments in love this shit directly formed my musical sensibilities) Kraftwerks Tour De France (i still start poppin just hearing the breath soundz and those chirpy hihats- that shit IS breakdance music) i had slick rick n doug e fresh ladidadi memorized the week that tune came out. we would go to dances at the YMCA and the DJs (who were like the 14 year old younger brothers of some serious Chitown DJS) would play all of these jams with no regard for genre/style it was all underground dance music. i ...

No comments:

Post a Comment